Why is this important?
Professor Andrew Hopkins in his book Disastrous Decisions – The Human and Organisational Causes of the Gulf of Mexico Blowout states:
Management walk-arounds are regarded by some commentators as the single most important safety activity an organisation can perform.
How can businesses improve
To achieve a step change in Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) performance, Leaders must lead safety from the front and spend time “in the workplace” to see, experience and understand the risks and challenges faced by employees and contractors on a day to day basis.
How we help our customers make a difference
HSE Global’s P.Q.R.S.T methodology for conducting effective safety interactions is used by many organisations across Australia, New Zealand and the United States. Operational leaders provide consistent feedback confirming the following:
- Framework is simple and easy to remember
- The process encourages open and honest conversations
- Non-confrontational approach
- Can apply a personal and authentic approach to safety interactions
- Great process to LEARN about the risks and challenges faced by employees
To achieve a step change in safety performance, leaders must lead safety from the front and spend time “in the workplace” to see, experience and understand the risks and challenges faced by employees and contractors on a day to day basis. Conducting effective safety interactions are key to achieving this outcome.
Safety Interaction Training
Facilitated discussion and training for effective safety interactions:
- Alignment with Company safety vision and WHS strategy
- Practical application of the 5 keys to safety leadership
- PQRST methodology for effective safety interactions (techniques and process)
- In-field safety interaction practice or role play
Safety Interaction In-field Coaching
HSE Global consultants conduct in-field coaching aligning participants to the importance of visible leadership and how to deliver a highly engaging and interactive safety interaction. Using an experiential approach, HSE Global takes participants through the What, So What and What Next of safety interactions and how they achieve performance optimisation and prevent harm. Leaders learn the foundations of how to conduct an effective safety interaction and practice the execution “in the field”.
Board / Executive Safety Interaction Training
- Quarter 1: Executive/Board member and HSE Global consultant conducts safety interactions. Coaching and feedback provided
- Quarter 2 and 3: Executive/Board member conducts safety interaction on their own or with an internal buddy
- Quarter 4: Executive/Board member and HSE Global consultant conducts safety interactions. Coaching and feedback provided. Ensure skills and techniques are embedded and can be sustained for the long term.
“Good course and well-presented. I was worried that 4 hours would be dry and repetitive, but it was a good mixture of activities and content. I have had a fair bit of experience with Safety in a wide range of roles, but this content still made me think about what I do and how I can better influence others.”
– Senior Lecturer, University of Sydney
to make a difference
Take the first step in transforming your business safety culture and speak with one of our solutions experts today.