Helen is Managing Director NZ at HSE Global and has over 20 year experience in health, safety, public health and environmental health roles (as a consultant, manager and regulator). She is a Chartered Fellow of IOSH, and holds a Bachelors in Marine Science, a Post Grad in Public Health, a Masters in Environmental Health, an NVQ4 in Occupational Health and Safety Practice, NEBOSH International Diploma in OHS and is currently undertaking a PhD in OHS Governance in the public sector.
Helen has worked on large scale projects including:
- The grounding of the RENA (for MNZ and Crown law)
- The Independent Health and Safety Taskforce Secretariat (provision of Occupational Health Advice and whitepaper)
- Chair of the design group for SafePlus
- Author of the Business Leaders Health and Safety Forum “Monitoring What Matters” and CEO guides to Risk documents
- Advisor to the Public Service Commission following the Ashburton WINZ shooting
- Created the Masters in Health programme for Victoria University of Wellington
- Headed the HSW function for St John through the COVID pandemic from 2019-2021 leading a team of 17 (psychologists, nurses, engineers and safety professionals) to deliver HSW services to 10,000 volunteers and 5,000 staff.
- Reviewed MNZ performance and practice in the discharge of statutory functions for health and safety and HSNO legislation
She is currently an independent member of the Department of Corrections Health, Safety & Risk Executive Governance Group, and has previously been the independent member for MBIE, NZ Police and NZ Customs. She has extensive experience across local and central government.